Akumal has had a marine/sea focus since it became an international destination in the early 70s. With shipwrecks found in the Caribbean Sea off the shore of this Riviera Maya beach town, national and international marine biologists and historians have been collecting Spanish artifacts for decades. The configuration of the barrier reef made the area a graveyard for Spanish colonial ships that were unfamiliar with the waters.
Today, Akumal continues to have a marine/sea focus. Turtles love the calm bays that make up this part of the Caribbean. Snorkelers and divers love to cruise through the sea to find turtles in their natural habitat, untouched and living their own Caribbean life. This beach town as a lot to offer and this is just the beginning of why so many people choose Akumal as their Riviera Maya vacation destination.
Why we love Akumal
So here is just the beginning of why we love Akumal.
- Beautiful calm seas and wide beaches
- Eclectic community with a strong American focus
- Super friendly people and more than helpful locals
- Located in the heart of the Riviera Maya with unique cenotes just a few miles from the town center
- Small intimate community on the beach
- Local Mayan influence in the Pueblo of Akumal
- Close to eco parks and attractions in the Riviera Maya
- A variety of short and long stay condos and villas for any budget or family size
- An eco-sensitive and diverse area that offers cool outdoor activities. Yal Ku Lagoon is a natural lagoon that provides hours if not days of marine fun and snorkeling.
Check out Akumal on our aerial maps where you can see for yourself the bay areas, Yal ku lagoon and the wide range of villa and condo rentals on the beach. There is a reason we made Akumal our home, and these are just a few of the benefits we love about this Riviera Maya beach town.