Oh Tulum. A popular destination with the young and famous, the bohemian crowd, and the rich who are looking to get away from it all. Tulum is most famous for the Mayan ruins located on the sea, but its rising popularity is for reasons other than the Maya influences.
Why Tulum is a great place to vacation in the Riviera Maya
- Sustainability is the first focus of this town that has a diverse ecosystem. Solar energy, locally crafted biodegradable products, alternative building practices, and a respect for the jungle, mangrove and sea makes this destination an eco-focused vacation.
- The beaches are next to none. Tulum beaches are special and can only be appreciated once your walk onto the cool white sand that overlooks the Caribbean Sea.
- Funky hotels and villas. Resorts are not part of the Tulum landscape. Beach cabins, small villas, and funky hotels make this area cool and as far from suburban as you can get.
- Super nice people and a warm inviting culture. Tulum has an open heart and so do the people that live here. Striking up a conversation is not unheard of in Tulum nor is hitch hiking into town on the back of a local truck.
- Simplicity is the name of the game. There are no big clubs, big name businesses, nor a Starbucks. Tulum is homegrown and cultivates a home grown culture in everything it does. This town is all about the basics but with a cutting edge trendiness that people love.
- Cenotes, fresh water sinkholes, are found all around the Tulum area. These spiritual places are a great place to snorkel, have a picnic, or just chill for an afternoon off the beach.
- Sian Ka’an Biosphere is located at the end of the Tulum beach road. This UNESCO heritage site is the largest biosphere in the area. It is home to over 300 bird species, offers some of the best fly fishing in the world, and holds historical references and relevance to the local Mayan culture.
- Cool beach dining, lots of vegan and vegetarian culinary options, sustainable cooking practices and more make up the cool Tulum Restaurant scene. Local chefs and restaurants make regular appearances in international cooking magazines and newspapers.
Tulum is cool, there is no doubt about that. The simplicity of the landscape mixed with a desire to get away from it all makes this beach vacation a unique experience with a cool vibe. Check out our aerial maps of Tulum so you can find the best villa or boutique hotel for your Tulum vacation.